Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Week 10: Reflection after the e journey of web skill



 Ten weeks long journey on e learning of webs kills is over now. I am reflecting on what I learned during the course.  On line course was new experience for me. I  was not sure  if I could complete the course  or not  because of my little  technological skills, limited  connectivity and heavy load shedding  on one hand and heavy teaching load on the  other hand. But now I think I learned more than I had expected.

 Each week was like a new semester. I started real learning sharpening my web searching. I used to use Google, Yahoo and   Bing as search engines. But after visiting Noodle tools I learned a lot of search engines.  I got opportunities to explore several excellent websites to build listening, speaking, and reading, writing, vocabulary and grammar skills.  Bookmarking  with Delicious.com made my job very easier. I can bookmark my favorite web links and access them any where. There are search engine for kids. I even learned the way of sending audio mail with VOCARO and video mail with EYEJOT.  I   already had a passive blog account. I started to post the course provided me reasons for blogging. Blogging increased my confidence as a blogger. Now I can give on presentation on usefulness of blogging for enhancing reading and writing. I carried out technology enhanced project with my student. Making rubric at Rubistar was easier. It makes assessment transparent and constructive. The learners have better ideas what they are expected to do in their assignment.  It has increased my confidence of using technology. I learned to write more specific ABCD model objectives. I     learned to make interactive power point, web quest, Google site, NiceNet discussion, wall wisher and many more. Discussion on large class, PBL, learners autonomy and large class teaching, one computer class, learners differences and multiple intelligences were some of significant tasks and topic during the course.

 Using technology in under resourced traditional class is not an easy task. We can think of effective use of technology only when we have access of appropriate technology. Otherwise it is just a topic of discussion.  The access of technology is increasing. Our planner and policy makers are far behind in implementing modern technology in Nepalese Class. They are piloting one lap top per child. But I don't know how much progress has been made.  But we should be ready for change otherwise we would be outdated teacher.

 A teacher can do a lot but he can’t do all unless he is supported from his colleague, students and administration as well as. I have applied some of the things I have learned in my class for example I implemented technology enhanced project in the class. My students learned web searching making power point presentation. I need support from Campus Administration to use additional technology for example Multimedia Projector, computer lab for audio visual resources.   There are some things which can be solved only by initiative of University.  Integration of technology in assessment, learner’s autonomy and teacher’s autonomy can be ensured when university pans and policies support. Our university is still run on traditional model.
 I learned the model of distance on line course. Our instructor Ms Courtney and guest moderators really worked hard. Her positive comment and feedback supported me to be motivated. Motivating learners in online course is not easy. I always got positive comments: great, excellent, outstanding, good job, wonderful. I always met deadline and never missed   any assignments. I started to check my mail more frequently. Each time, I checked my mail I expected some comments from other course mates. I must admit that I couldn’t read all my friends blogs post and comments.  I regret for not being able to do so.   I learned so much from their posts. Their experiences and ideas were   shining like diamonds. I always studied in traditional way without any discussion with my teacher and other student. Our NiceNet discussion redefined the learning process.  The web skill course helped me to build a dedicated team of hard working teachers from different parts of the world.

 Before the course I was an ordinary confused traditional teacher with very little technological knowledge. Now I am more confident and skillful teacher with more technological and pedagogical knowledge to use technology in teaching learning process (still in traditional setting but with greater potentialities to transform). I have started my journey there is very long road with many obstacles ahead . Challenges provide opportunities.  Using technology is not goal in itself. It can be effective tool to achieve educational goal when we use it efficiently.
 I am happy because I learned  many useful things. I sad because the course has ended here.I hope to get similar opportunities in future.At last I want to extend my vote of thanks to RELO, Kathmandu, AEI at Oregan , Drabya Shah Multiple Campus , my students and course mates  from both home  and aboard. Without your constant support ,  I couldn’t  make it. I am grateful to you all.  I hope to get similar support in future.
 Thank you.
 Best regard
 Krishna



10 comments:

  1. Dear Krishna,


    You have made a wonderful summative reflection on the whole course!
    Congratulations on your great success!

    You have always been hard-working and your continuous efforts are more than evident. I like it when you said: 'Challenges provide opportunities.' You have definitely proved that. Despite all the inconveniences you had in your teaching environment while attending this course, you succeeded and became a more skilled and confident English teacher capable of applying all these useful technology tools you mentioned in your post. Hopefully, there will also be more understanding and support from the relevant institutions in your country so that you will have more opportunities to put into practice everything you have learned during this 'webskills journey'.


    Many thanks for your Nicenet contributions and valuable comments and suggestions. I have learned a lot from you.


    I wish you all the best and a lot of success with your future work!


    Kind regards,
    Izela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Krishna,
    Namaste from KTM!

    Congratulations for successful completion of the Web skills course. Izela has already mentioned that you have precisely summarized the ten weeks course.
    Next things, I liked your studious habit and taking challenge/risk to learn new things. Likewise, you are able to introduce technology in the traditional classroom like in our context too.
    Thanking you.
    With Regards,
    Mukti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Dear Krishna,

    My congratulations on completing the course. It's a happy and sad moment at the same time, as we are parting now, but hope we'll stay in touch nevertheless.

    Best, Nataliia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Krishna,

    thanks for your personal course reflection. I can tell you that you were not alone who felt before this course like "an ordinary confused traditional teacher with very little technological knowledge". I am very happy for us that we have changed our status of traditional teachers to " e-teachers or Web 2.0 teachers"

    All the best,

    Matej

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Khrishna,
    Congratulations for completing the course. You have made a great reflection on the last 10 weeks in the course. I hope your success in your career will last forever!
    All the best,
    Hülya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Krishna,

    I identify myself with you in terms of a traditional administrative set up. I'm sure with all the potentials that have been exposed within yourself through this course, you will be able to do more for your learners even in this set up.

    You always have had a practical Nepalese context based approach when you adapted to a new technology-based tool or strategy, and I think this is helpful in realizing the visions of a teacher.

    All the best with your future endeavors.

    Tahsina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Krishna,

    Congratulations on your successful completion of the course. You have posted fabulous reflection. I'm sure, you have done justice in your course which I can see. My best wishes is with you forever. Please, always be in contact with me.

    your Nepali Cheli
    Sharmila

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Krishna,



    Congratulation for you, I totally believe is that each week was a new semester . Each week we were presented to new tools that why I wasn’t thinking that I will know that much in 10 weeks. This course proved a lot to me how 10 weeks can be very affective in our life. Therefore, we should do the same with our students.

    All the best,
    Awsan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Coursemates
    Thank you for constant support during the course. You support was source of motivation for me.

    Respectfully
    Krishna

    ReplyDelete